Col. David J. Mounkes is wing commander of the 123rd Airlift Wing, Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville International Airport, Louisville, Kentucky. He provides leadership to more than 1,200 Airmen organized in five groups to support both domestic operations and overseas combat missions. The wing is equipped with C-130H2 Hercules aircraft capable of conducting tactical airlift and combat airdrop sorties. Other key missions include a special tactics squadron comprised of combat controllers and pararescuemen; and the Air National Guard's only dedicated contingency response group.
Col. Mounkes graduated from California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, and received his commission through Officer Training School in 1989. He has flown C-130 combat, combat-support and humanitarian-relief operations worldwide while serving for the active-duty Air Force and the Air National Guard. His experience includes Operations Provide Promise, Restore Hope, Provide Relief, Joint Forge, Coronet Oak. Col. Mounkes served on active duty at Little Rock Air Force Base, Arkansas, where he spent three years with the 50th Airlift Squadron, flying operational missions all over the world. He was then selected as a Tactical Airlift Instructor and served three years with the 62nd Airlift Squadron, instructing and evaluating both initial tactical airlift students and tactical airlift instructor candidates. Col. Mounkes transferred to the Kentucky Air National Guard in August of 1997 and was mobilized from 2002 through 2003 in support of Operations Nobel Eagle, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. While with the Kentucky Air Guard 165th Airlift Squadron Director of Operations, was dual-hatted as both the 123rd Global Mobility Squadron Commander and the 123rd Contingency Response Group Deputy Commander Col. Mounkes' operational command experience includes serving as squadron commander for the 774th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, commanding a Contingency Response Element for earthquake relief in the Dominican Republic in support of Operation Unified Response and as commander of Joint Task Force-Port Opening Senegal for Operation United Assistance in Dakar, Senegal, supporting international efforts to fight an outbreak of the Ebola virus. Prior to assuming his current position, the colonel was the commander of the 123rd Contingency Response Group.
1989 Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Calif.
1995 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2005 Master of Divinity, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Ky.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College in residence, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. January 1990 - December 1990, specialized undergraduate navigator training, Mather Air Force Base, Calif.
2. January 1991 - September 1994, C-130 Navigator, 50th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
3. September 1994 - August 1997, C-130 Formal Training Unit and Tactical Airlift Instructor School Instructor/Evaluator, 62nd Airlift Squadron, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
4. August 1997 - December 1999, Instructor Navigator, 165th Airlift Squadron, Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville, Ky.
5. December 1999 - November 2003, Standards and Evaluations Navigator, 123rd Operations Group, Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville, Ky.
6. November 2003 - February 2006, Evaluator Navigator, 165th Airlift Squadron, Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville, Ky.
7. February 2006 - May 2007, Assistant Director of Operations, 165th Airlift Squadron, Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville, Ky.
8. May 2007 - April 2008, Director of Operations, 165th Airlift Squadron, Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville, Ky.
9. July 2007 - September 2007, Commander (deployed), 774th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
10. April 2008 - July 2011, Commander, 123rd Global Mobility Squadron, Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville, Ky.
11. July 2011 - May 2012, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
12. May 2012 - July 2014, Commander, 123rd Global Mobility Squadron, and Deputy Commander, 123rd Contingency Response Group, Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville, Ky.
13. July 2014 - April 2016, Commander, 123rd Contingency Response Group, Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville, Kentucky
14. April 2016 - present, Commander, 123rd Airlift Wing, Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville, Ky.
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight hours: Over 4,500
Aircraft flown: T-43, T-37, C-130E/H2/H3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and eight oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one device
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one device
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War On Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant December 22, 1989
First Lieutenant December 22, 1991
Captain December 22, 1993
Major December 4, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel December 4, 2006
Colonel July 10, 2014
(Current as of July 2018)